Friday, January 25, 2008

Musical Interlude

I saw Juno last weekend (good movie, although I have seriously complicated feelings about it), and yesterday I got the soundtrack. Oh my. It's been several months since I felt this way about a new CD, which is to say happy and maybe a little obsessive.

Kimya Dawson? Awesome. Have a listen:



And coincidentally enough, she's playing tonight in Richmond (Plan 9 at 7 p.m.). It's only an hour away from me. But Brandon has practice and I have some prep work for our lovely weekend guests. Damn. I'm sorry to miss it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer,
I really liked the movie. I'm curious about your complicated feelings.

I hear what you're saying about the soundtrack. The minute the movie ended, my husband and I agreed that the soundtrack was great.

Elizabeth said...

Yep. I saw it and while I really liked it and thought the casting was perfect, I left feeling a little sad about the conflict in general and scared as hell about having three girls ; ) I'm enjoying the soundtrack as well...

Jennifer said...

I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but let's just say there were a few chunks that, for me, worked story-wise but not suspending-disbelief-wise. When I thought, Nuh uh. I don't care how quirky you are--it doesn't work like that.

jessica handler said...

If you liked Kimya Dawson (and I know you like the TMBG style lyricists) try Jolie Holland. More serious lyrically than Dawson (or Antsy Pants) but similar vocal style.

M. and I saw Juno last night. I so hate that I did not write that script. I also hate that sixteen year old girls are not so endearingly quirky and mature.

I did, however, love the movie. Suspend that disbelief, girl.

Anonymous said...

Saw it. Liked it. But also realized it wasn't super realistic.

I loved, loved the music! All day yesterday the husband and I had this very song in our head.

-andi

Caroline said...

I'm completely with you on the soundtrack and the movie overall; some of it just a bit too easy -- I wrote about it here.