Friday, January 9, 2009

Getting Schooled

We had a pretty groovy holiday. My big news is that I’m taking a fiction writing workshop with Jincy Willett, she who wrote some of my very favorite books. (Have you read The Writing Class yet? Crazy good, yes?)

I haven’t taken a workshop since I was but a lass, in college and then a couple years later at an ill-fated two-week stint at Warren Wilson College (from which I came home and immediately got pregnant, conveniently answering the question of what I would be doing in the near future). I’ve become significantly bossier since then, and I was worried that I’d be very bad at being a student. Sort of the Dwight Shrute of the class.

But I enjoyed myself—I’d almost forgotten what a workshop is like. This one is online and uses discussion boards and chat rooms to happen, which is a little weird because you can’t see the reaction of the person whose work you’re critiquing. (On the other hand, I suppose the writer on the other end can roll his or her eyes and flick off the screen and mock you if he or she wants to.) And did I mention the instructor is Jincy Willett?

I’m trying not to be all gushy and ass-kissy, but there was this moment when she asked us to introduce ourselves and say a little something about what we’re working on and about our favorite writers. You know who I wanted to say. But I didn’t.

7 comments:

BabelBabe said...

after reading The Writing Class, I think I'd be too intimidated to take a writing class taught by its author : )

I really liked her first book as well. Part of my collection of librarians-in-literature...

Anjali said...

Ooohhhh, I LOVED The Writing Class, despite the fact that I usually hate mysteries.

Hopefully there will be no murders in yours!

Bette said...

Oh, I would be such a simpering mess in front of her - it's good she's doing it online.

Jennifer said...

She's a terrific teacher, too, I was happy to learn. (I've probably said this before, but I have a not-minor fear that people whose work I admire will turn out to be assholes. It's happened once.)

If I turn up dead, you know what happened...

fer said...

I'm only assuming that you read Jenny and the Jaws of Life...what a fab collection of stories! I am jealous!

Jennifer said...

I did!

Hey, if'n you're interested:

http://www.jincywillett.com/journal/2008/12/30/online-writing-workshop-up-and-running/

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Jennifer. Can't wait to hear what comes out of it.